Which visa do I need to apply for to work self-employed in the UK, doing some consulting work for companies, on contract? I've done my research on the different visas available to work in the UK, and I'm not quite sure which one is the most appropriate considering a specific situation.
The actual situation:
- I have Canadian citizenship;
- I'm under 25 years old;
- I'm looking into working as a software engineer (developer or system architect).
UK visas that seems to match this situation:
- Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa - (but it doesn't seem to allow self-employment / contractual work)
- Tier 2 (General) visa - (but it looks like I need to be sponsored by a company and be a permanent employee)
- Tier 1 (General) visa - (doesn't seem available for new visa requests, only for extension or LTR visas)
Are they the only options available? Considering the details added to each visa, is the only option to work sponsored as a permanent employee instead of being self-employed?