Expatriates Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people living abroad on a long-term basis. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

After I become a US citizen and I obtain my Certificate of Naturalization, are there any other processes that I need to complete? I have heard that I might need to go to the Social Security office, why?

share|improve this question

There are a few things you can do:

A website with more details about these, and other subjects like jury service, is newcitizen.us.

share|improve this answer
Enhanced driver's licenses are proof of US citizenship, so a new US citizen would have the option to apply for one, but not to update one. See dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they – phoog Sep 11 '14 at 12:53

There are several reasons why you may need to go to the Social Security office after obtaining Naturalization in the US. One of the most common is that you are allowed to change your name when you become a citizen. So if you availed yourself of this you will need to change your name on all pieces of official documentation that you have.

Another reason would be if your Social Security card contains a notice: "FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION"(or similar), which you can apply for a replacement that won't have this printed on it.

Beyond that the only thing you may need to do is obtain a US passport.

share|improve this answer
Even if you don't have either of those reasons (most people don't change their name, and most people already had the "DHS authorization" note removed when they were permanent residents), you should still update your records with Social Security. – user102008 May 6 '14 at 8:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.