Expatriates Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people living abroad on a long-term basis. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In the event you're applying for an Ancestry visa and require your grandparent's birth certificate, how can one get an official copy of said certificate that would be acceptable in an application?

share|improve this question

I had to do this for my Ancestry Visa application. My relative's certificate was not easily accessible to me, so I found out that it's possible to order a copy of a birth, death or a marriage certificate online.

You’ll need to register on the General Register Office (GRO) website to order a copy of a birth, adoption, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate in England and Wales. Certificates cost £9.25. You can use this service to help you research your family tree.

There's a different process for Scottish and Northern Ireland certificates, linked to on that site.

share|improve this answer
For best results when applying, you will need a "GRO Index Reference Number" to identify the specific individual you need the document for. The FreeBMD search page allows you to search a crowdsourced copy of the indexes. Alternatively, sites like Ancestry.Com provide free trials and advanced search options. – oskarpearson Mar 20 '14 at 23:35

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.