Expatriates Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people living abroad on a long-term basis. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am a US citizen who has moved to the UK. My new employer has asked me to get a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check so I can work with children. Since I do not have sufficient history in the UK, my employer has also asked me to supply them with a US CRB. What is the US equivalent of a CRB check?

share|improve this question
We've used the company similar to this one to get them since they need to check multiple local and federal databases to get a background check. – Karlson Mar 25 '14 at 12:52
FYI, it's now called a DBS gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/dbs-barred-lists – deed02392 Mar 25 '14 at 15:57
up vote 7 down vote accepted

The US does not have an easy way to get the exact equivalent of the UK CRB.

The US State Dept has a page on this very subject:

U.S. citizens may be asked to present a “certificate of good conduct” or “lack of a criminal record” for a variety of reasons for use abroad including adoption, school attendance, employment, etc. U.S. law enforcement authorities may not be familiar with such a procedure since it is not commonly requested in the United States. There are a variety of options available to U.S. citizens seeking to obtain proof of their lack of a criminal record.

LOCAL POLICE CHECK: Go to your local police department where you reside or last resided in the United States, request that the police conduct a local or state criminal records search and provide you with a document reflecting that there is no history of a criminal record...

FBI RECORDS CHECK: ... The FBI offers two methods for requesting your FBI Identification Record or proof that a record does not exist...An individual requiring an apostille or authenticated copy of his/her FBI Identification Record, or any non U.S. person who wishes to request his/her FBI Identification Record must submit a request directly to the FBI CJIS Division...

AUTHENTICATION OF POLICE OR FBI CERTIFICATES OF LACK OF A CRIMINAL RECORD: The FBI’s CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and signature of a Division official on the results, if requested at the time of submission...

So it looks like the best that you can do is get Local Police (from the place where you last lived) and FBI checks. It might be good to check with your new employer to make sure that this will be sufficient before going through the effort of obtaining the proper documents.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.