My mother, infirm and living in the US, wants to transfer ownership of property in France to me. What legal documents do I have to show French authorities to transfer that property into my name? Who are those authorities, anyway? Will I have to produce those documents personally at some French office? Will I need to hire a lawyer to process the paperwork?

closed as too broad by Giorgio, Dipen Shah, Mark Mayo Aug 16 '17 at 23:28

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    You will probably need to consult a specialist, perhaps a lawyer or at least a consultant. – gerrit Jan 16 '17 at 18:45
  • 1
    The person you will mostly talk to is a “notaire”. They will file the necessary paperwork with the authorities and you will pay a hefty fee (proportional to the value of the property) for the pleasure. You are not allowed to circumvent them. You can hire a lawyer if there are some complications but you and your lawyer will still need to go through a notaire. – Relaxed Jan 16 '17 at 19:01
  • This webpage notaires.fr/fr/annuaires-notaire allows to search for english speaking notaires, if that matters. – audionuma Jan 17 '17 at 13:38

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.