Can a self employed (Coach, I work via the internet, from any location) US citizen get a long-term visa for the UK? -Scotland specifically. For at least 1 year?

And if so, what is the procedure? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

  • 1
    The reason why you can't any information on this is that the concept of working abroad online isn't really covered by any of the visas of most of the world. Wish I could give you better advice, but this is still very new territory for pretty much all countries.
    – ouflak
    Jan 17, 2017 at 19:12

1 Answer 1


The reason you can't find any information is that there's no such visa. Long-term visas are, generally speaking, for family (spouse/fiance visas, etc), students, or work visas (inc. charity work).

Most classes of long-term visa require a sponsor (university, charity, employer, etc). You can't get a work visa as a self-employed person, unless you have a significant amount of money and are planning to start up a business in the UK. If you have millions of pounds to invest, that's another route.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.