If someone flees their country to another country as a refugee due to war , outbreak of disease , civil unrest etc , without any visa , is it legal for them to stay, work and have home etc as any other citizen of that inhabiting country ?

  • 4
    They would have given you a brochure when they issued your document. Did you read it? – Gayot Fow Jan 9 '17 at 9:49
  • 2
    The way to become a refugee is to show up in a foreign country under circumstances where they cannot send you back to your home country -- either because you convince them that being sent back would be so dangerous for you that they refrain from doing so, or because you're part of a crowd of escapees so large that trying to evict you all by force would become a massacre. Visas do not enter into that (except that having a visa can be necessary to convince an airline to take you to the country you want to show up in). – hmakholm left over Monica Jan 9 '17 at 12:45
  • 2
    There are several interpretations of your question - 1. when refugees flee their country and arrive in a safe country. 2. when a group of countries move refugees around to balance the load. In the first case, no visa is required (there would be a hell of a lot less refugees and a lot more dead people if they were required), you must abide by the laws of the country and follow their asylum processes however. In the second case, the hist countries will sort it out amongst themselves and you will not need to apply for additional permissions, you simply go where you are sent. – Moo Jan 9 '17 at 13:23
  • 2
    However, if you have applied for asylum and wish to travel to a third country, all usual restrictions still follow - if you want to travel from Germany to the UK (both picked at random), you will need all the usual visas applicable for your original nationality - even if you are granted asylum, you do not qualify for visa free travel in the EU or to other countries, your original nationality still applies. – Moo Jan 9 '17 at 13:26
  • 2
    I've edited the question to be clear and answerable. Yatin, if that wasn't what you meant, please edit. Vote to reopen (although I'm not sure that Expatriates wouldn't be a better fi). – DJClayworth Jan 9 '17 at 15:34

Most countries (if not all) allow refugees to stay, work, and establish a home, though not necessarily with the same rights as citizens. The Hague Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees of 1951, which most countries have implemented, provides that refugees should be treated like citizens in some respects, and like other non-citizens in other respects.

Their right to stay is governed by protection against expulsion and the principle of non-refoulement (articles 32 and 33). These protections differ from those afforded to a country's own citizens.

Their right to work is the same as other non-nationals. This is governed by articles 17 through 19.

Their rights to own property, to housing, and to freedom of movement and of choice of residence are the same as other non-nationals, and are governed by articles 13, 21, and 26.

Countries that are not parties to the convention, including the US, nonetheless grant similar rights to refugees.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.