We are filling in the VAF4A application form for family settlement for a spouse visa.

We came across a question related to past visas for the UK which asks who was the issuing authority.

My wife is Brazilian, so she does not need a visa to enter the UK for up to 6 months as a visitor.

For her visits, does the 6-month stamp count as the visa and, if so, who is the issuing authority? Would it be border control?

She also had a Tier 4 student visa (to study an MSc.) which was issued in Rio de Janeiro, but it does not state the Issuing Authority on it. Who would be the issuing Authority?

  • 1
    The passport stamp constitutes leave to enter. It is not a visa, so you don't need to include it here (I presume there is another place to mention that trip on the application). I am not certain who the issuing authority is in the case of the tier 4 visa, but if I would be inclined to put "UK consulate, Rio de Janeiro." – phoog Jan 22 '17 at 17:45
  • That makes sense - its says RIO on the visa, but that seems to be location only, I guess we will make an educated guess on that one soon. – Alexander Ewart Jan 22 '17 at 18:11
  • Indeed there is a Visa box and a Trips to the UK box on the form – Alexander Ewart Jan 22 '17 at 18:11

After Reading multiple forums looking for examples of people with the similar problem...

It seems in this case it would UKBA - RIO DE JANEIRO ( up until the date that UKBA became UKVI ) - However I can not categorically state if this is correct...

Phoog identified that a passport stamp is leave to enter and not a visa, which also makes sense within the remits of the form, considering that Brazilians do not need a Visa to travel to and visit the UK.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.