I know this has been asked before, but I'd like to know if anything has changed since. Is it still required to have a graduate degree to get a German Blue Card? I'm from India, I'm sure that's required information.

Do all kinds of work permits require a graduate degree? I'm a (to be) drop out (dropping out for personal reasons) seeking a job in Germany, and I've gotten responses from quite a few companies. I'm afraid that my lack of degree is going to be a hindrance.

  • I'm not seeing that as a requirement here on a German government site. It just says an equivalent-to-German higher education degree. There is a link to the Anabin site where you can look up your degree as well. You have to apply for a regular work permit first anyway, then apply for the card once you're in Germany.
    – mkennedy
    Feb 18, 2017 at 18:35
  • Please see expatriates.stackexchange.com/a/11511/13223 for related info Jul 6, 2020 at 8:05

1 Answer 1


You need a Bachelor's (undergrad) degree, not a Masters degree. From the BAMF website:

Applicants must provide proof of having completed higher education. If the higher education qualification was not acquired in Germany, it must either be recognised or be comparable to a German higher education qualification.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.