I ask because I was born in the US and am a US citizen. However, if I want to move to another country I don't want to give up my US citizenship. If I move, I want to pick a country where I can have dual citizenship.

  • 1
    The Wikipedia page on Multiple citizenship has a ton of information on this. Feb 19, 2017 at 22:34
  • 1
    Here is a webpage that may have the information you need. multiplecitizenship.com/worldsummary.html I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information. I'm pretty sure I've seen a kind of synopsis of nationality laws by country from an official source before, but now I can't remember where.
    – user11229
    Feb 19, 2017 at 22:51
  • 2
    Also, "move to another country" doesn't necessarily mean you are required to take up citizenship of that country. For example, you could move to Australia as a permanent resident and never need to worry about multiple citizenships. Feb 19, 2017 at 22:56
  • 1
    @user102008 multiple nationalities at birth, at least, are out of scope forthis question.
    – phoog
    Feb 20, 2017 at 4:02
  • 1
    @user102008 fair enough. As you note, there are many countries that in principle legislate against dual citizenship but nonetheless tolerate or even allow it in certain (possibly very limited) circumstances.
    – phoog
    Feb 20, 2017 at 4:12

1 Answer 1


To answer your specific question, you cannot lose your US citizenship unless you explicitly state intent to relinquish your citizenship. From Advice about Possible Loss of U.S. Nationality and Dual Nationality:

Section 349 of the INA (8 U.S.C. 1481), as amended, states that U.S. nationals are subject to loss of nationality if they perform certain specified acts voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. nationality.

It goes on to say that a consular officer will ask whether the person intends to relinquish U.S. nationality:

If the answer to the question regarding intent to relinquish nationality is yes, the person concerned will be asked to complete a questionnaire to ascertain his or her intent toward U.S. nationality. When the questionnaire is completed and the voluntary relinquishment statement is signed, the consular officer will proceed to prepare a Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States. The certificate will be forwarded to the Department of State for consideration and, if appropriate, approval.

This page makes it clear that the default position is that U.S. citizens do not intend to give up their U.S. citizenship. The only exceptions are when an individual:

  1. formally renounces U.S. nationality before a consular officer;
  2. serves in the armed forces of a foreign state engaged in hostilities with the United States;
  3. takes a policy level position in a foreign state;
  4. is convicted of treason.

You may acquire any other citizenship (according to the laws of the other country of course) without affecting your U.S. citizenship.

  • That doesn't answer the question. The question is what citizenships he can get without formally renouncing US citizenship.
    – user102008
    Feb 20, 2017 at 23:31
  • 2
    @user102008: The answer to the question is "any of them", as stated above. Feb 21, 2017 at 0:06
  • Greg, that's the answer as far as the US is concerned, but the US is not the only country with a say in the matter. The other country may require the US citizen to renounce US citizenship as a condition of naturalization. I believe this is why @user102008 posted that comment.
    – phoog
    Feb 21, 2017 at 1:22
  • @phoog: If this question devolves into "list of countries that permit naturalization without requiring relinquishment of previous citizenships", then I would support closing it as too broad. Feb 21, 2017 at 1:58
  • Hence my comment!
    – phoog
    Feb 21, 2017 at 2:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.