I am receiving an offer from a German company as a Software Engineer, and I now have 90k as salary.

I am under a normal work permit and have lived in Germany for 1 year and 4 months.

If I accept this offer am entitled for Settlement Permit in Germany due to the Salary threshold?

How does this regulation work for highly skilled workers.

I don't have the Blue card, because my degree is not compared to a German one.

In the website MakeIt In Germany said that Highly Qualified Professionals are entitled to live in Germany permanently: Settlement permit. Note how this is not the same as Blue Card.

I have also read the page Getting a work visa or permit for Germany on Expatica.com.

Take a look at: "Permits for highly skilled workers earning EUR 84,600+". (Update, 28.12.2020: The quote is from an older version of the article and can no longer be found there.)

  • 2
    What makes you think that?
    – Gala
    Commented Mar 13, 2017 at 7:59
  • 1
    @Gala - I have seen in both the German(make-it-ingermany) website and other web sites, like this: expatica.com/de/visas-and-permits/… Take a look: "Permits for highly skilled workers earning EUR 84,600+" Commented Mar 13, 2017 at 18:44
  • 1
    OK, thanks, your link helped me find where this is coming from. As far as I can tell, it refers to §19 of the relevant law. The threshold was actually lower than this between 2009 and 2012 but the provision has been scrapped entirely in 2012.
    – Gala
    Commented Mar 16, 2017 at 21:51
  • So, @Gala - would you also say that this salary threshold can be used for me getting a permanent visa? Do you think it is worth giving it a try for my case? Thanks. Commented Mar 17, 2017 at 19:56
  • 1
    Well, no, I just said the exact opposite. It was already complicated before and it's not relevant at all anymore.
    – Gala
    Commented Mar 17, 2017 at 20:08

1 Answer 1


There are exceptions for refugees, blue card holders and holders of a German degree (none of which apply to you as far as I can tell) but generally speaking, you need to have been a resident for five years to apply for a Niederlassungserlaubnis.

There is a kind of salary threshold in that "financial security" is one of the requirements but it does not exempt you from all the other requirements (including 5-year residency) and I am not aware of any special route based on income.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.