I currently hold a B-1 visa that's valid for the next 2 years. I plan to apply for a J1 research scholars program.

I can't decide which is the best way to go about applying for the J1. If I start the process in my country, would I still be able to travel to USA on my B1 while waiting for the J-1 to be approved? If I were able, and the J-1 were approved, would I have to go back to my home country and then re-enter the US on the J-1?

Or, is it better to apply for J-1 while I'm in the States? I read that this option might take much longer (6 months).

1 Answer 1


You should be able to travel on B-1 until your J-1 is approved.

The rest is a matter of personal preferences. Describe "better" and the answer will change. Both routes are possible.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.