I am a Chinese citizen and lived in the Netherlands before coming to the US. I hold a J-1 visa and do some research projects at Northhwestern University.

According the the Netherland-US treaty, I had a tax-exemption for the first two years.

Recently, as I prepared the tax return form, the results showed that I would need repay the tax that would be exempt, because I will remain in the US for more than two-year time period. This was due to my program being extended.

I checked the Netherlands-US treaty, and found that they do have a rule about tax retroactivity if I stay in US exceeding 2 years.

Meanwhile, I found there are exceptions, one which states that "If the visit exceeds two years, the first-mentioned State may tax the individual under its national law for the entire period of the visit, unless in a particular case the competent authorities of the States agree otherwise."

I do not know whether my situation is this kind of exceptions, or how could apply it. How can I get this clarified?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.