I've received a PhD scholarship offer from a German Professor with a fixed stipend value of 1200 Euro/month for the period of 1 year, which will either convert into 75 % of TVF-13, or will continue the same stipend.

So, now the major confusion in my mind is what type of visa I should apply for. Should I apply for a student visa, a work visa, or some other type of visa?

I am from Pakistan.

1 Answer 1


You will have to apply for a German type D (National Schengen long stay visa) study visa.
See the relevant page of the German embassy to Pakistan.

For an overview of the process, I found a very informative sheet of the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) for India (so be aware that some details may be different, e.g. required documents, waiting times for visa) that explains also the academic environment for a PhD in Germany.

Finally I would also advise you to get in touch with the international office of your prospective university.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.