I am from India and I have applied to a vocational school in Berlin. I have been accepted and invited to an interview which is a part of their admission procedure. Upon my total acceptance, I intend to study there for one year. What visa should I apply for? I am not sure if I should apply for a schengen visa or a national visa. Can I extend the schengen visa once I am accepted? Are schengen visas and student visas the same?

1 Answer 1


Whenever you want to travel to Germany for study purposes, you have to apply for the appropriate German Visa, related to the purpose of your travel and stay there – studying.

There are 3 (three) types of German Visas for study purposes:

1 - Language Course Visa (Visa for Language Learning) – is the perfect option for those that want or need to learn the German language in Germany.

2 - Student Applicant Visa (Visum Zur Studienbewerbung) – if you want to study in Germany, but are still trying to find the right program or you still haven’t got the confirmation letter from your University.

3 - Student Visa (Visum Zu Studienzwecken) – if you have already been accepted to a German university.

  • Where can I find the student applicant visa form ? Or is it the same as schengen student visa ? Commented Mar 26, 2017 at 23:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.