I was in the USA with a J-1 visa and I left the country after 4 months. How can I check online to see I am subject to two-years home residency?

1 Answer 1


The US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs gives guidance on how to seek an advisory opinion, should you be unclear of your obligation.

If you do not know whether the two-year home-country physical presence requirement applies to you, after having reviewed the Eligibility Information webpage, you can request that the Department of State, Waiver Review Division conducts an Advisory Opinion. An Advisory Opinion is a review of your exchange visitor program documents to determine if you are subject to this requirement.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.