I am a British passport holder living in India since one and half year.We planned UK holidays, done all the bookings only to realise that my UK driving license is overdue for renewal. I can't renew it any more as I am not a UK resident. I can't get international driving permit from India as I am an OCI card holder. I called British embassy here but they don't deal with such matter. I need to rent a car in the UK...what should I do

  • I called up the UK car Rental companies, they require International driving permit along with Indian driving license.
    – S. Ladd
    Commented Apr 15, 2017 at 7:41

1 Answer 1


If you have an Indian driving licence, then you can rent a car in the UK using that - assuming that the Indian Licence has English language on it to declare who you are and what driving entitlement you have.

I have done exactly this with my Thai driving licence because my UK licence similarly expired years ago. I got an International Driving Permit in Bangkok in anticipation of being asked to produce it when hiring a car. The girl at the car hire place said there was no need, as my Thai licence also has English on it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.