My father was born in 1958 and adopted. He traveled from France as a baby and moved to Germany. He is deceased. What pieces of identification or official french documents (besides the acte de naissance) would be available and where do I go to request it? I live in the United States.

  • 1
    I'm voting to close this question as better suited to the expertise of those on SEGeneology
    – Giorgio
    Commented Aug 8, 2017 at 16:11
  • 1
    I'm voting to keep this question open because even if genealogy experts at Genealogy & Family History might be able to provide a better answer, people who need these kinds of documents for non-genealogical reasons (for example, to pursue French citizenship) will continue to come here to Expatriates seeking answers.
    – phoog
    Commented Aug 8, 2017 at 21:50

1 Answer 1


Where stated in French on the websites of consulates, documents need to be translated into French by a certified translator, must be originals and be apostilled or legalised, as follows:

Les documents en langue étrangère doivent faire l’objet d’une traduction assermentée en français. Il doit par ailleurs s’agir d’originaux ou de copies certifiées conformes à l’original par les autorités locaux. Les documents doivent être apostillés ou légalisés.

The French Consulate in the US Nationality Department offers guidance on the process and a contact form for enquiries.

NB: The application files of CNF (Certificat de Nationalité Française) are to be sent directly to the Courts of Instance. e

Each case is specific and the situations sometimes complex, the files are treated exclusively by appointment which it is necessary to take beforehand by e-mail.

The official directives can be found on Service-Public.fr Le site officiel de l'administration française and on Justice.fr Direction de l'information légale et administrative.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.