This question already has an answer here:

I'm a Romanian Citizen. I'm married with a South African man since 2002. We want to move to U.K. in Jan 2018 with our 3 children. What are his requirements to join us to Uk? Can he get a job while is in UK? Can he apply for permanent residency?

marked as duplicate by phoog, Community Apr 16 '17 at 21:24

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    I don't think this is an exact duplicate of the other question, as that question deals with EU citizens, whereas this question is about a non-EU citizen. I know Brexit and all that, but at the moment they are very different questions. – Scott Earle Apr 17 '17 at 8:35
  • 2
    Romania is part of the EU (but outside Schengen, like the UK), so the two questions are very similar – SztupY Apr 17 '17 at 9:54
  • 1
    @ScottEarle both questions are about a couple in which one spouse is an EU citizen and the other is not. – phoog Apr 17 '17 at 13:46
  • 1
    Poland is in the EU though – Scott Earle Apr 17 '17 at 13:49
  • 1
    @ScottEarle so is Romania. In the other question, the spouse has a Polish residence permit, which means he is not an EU citizen. In this case, we know the spouse is South African. So there's another difference: in the other case, the couple already lives elsewhere in the EU, and here they do not. That doesn't affect eligibility for an EEA family permit, however. – phoog Apr 17 '17 at 14:12