I have got acceptance for a 2-year research program. Tuition fee is C$12692/year. Living expense is C$6000/year. Supervisor will give me C$5000 for the first year but that depends on my performance in the 1st semester.

But, this variable commitment is not written on my acceptance-letter. Rather that is known through Email.

How much amount should I have to show in my bank to confirm my visa on my first try to the embassy?

Would that be enough to show that amount in my father's account?


With a tuition of $12,692, you would need to show that you have minimum resources of $10,000 in additional funds.

The Government guide to study in Canada lists what can be used to document your finances.

You can prove your funds with:

  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you have transferred money to Canada
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
  • proof of a student/education loan from a bank
  • your bank statements for the past four months
  • a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
  • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  • a letter from the person or school giving you money or proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.

Minimum funds needed to support yourself as a student
Amount of funds required per year (additional to the tuition): $10,000 ($11,000 for Quebec) Amount of funds required per month (additional to the tuition): $833 ($917 for Quebec)

If the funds are not in an account owned by you, you should provide evidence that they are available to you.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy