I'm trying to prepare my US taxes and want to check when I'm eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion. I'm a US citizen working in Canada. All I'm looking to do is to verify my border crossing information. CBP has the website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search to view your travel history.

As far as I can tell, the CBP site only returns results if you aren't a US citizen. Ideas?

  • Check your travel records? Credit card statements? Phone records?
    – phoog
    Apr 26 '17 at 22:54
  • 2
    Maybe Google maps? My Android phone spies on my location and Google records it, so I can see where I was on any given day. I use this to find land border crossing dates (everything else is in a frequent flier account).
    – Dennis
    Apr 27 '17 at 2:28

Yes, you're right in that most websites seem to suggest the Freedom of Information Requests for foreign citizens.

However, US citizens can indeed do this.

Chris Guillebeau documents his process of doing this and he's a US citizen (who has visited every country in the world).

He got back from his request:

  • A letter with an official response from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection
  • A long list (14 pages) of my international arrivals and departures
  • Another long list (8 pages) of various flight data, discussed below

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.