I have a refugee document issued by Germany. Am I able to travel to Ireland and seek employment with just this, or do I need some sort of permission for that?

1 Answer 1


Your refugee travel document, also called Convention 1951 document, issued by Germany does allow you to enter Ireland, but only for a visit, not to work.

The Republic of Ireland Naturalisation and Immigration Service (updated on 20 Jan 2017):

A holder of a Convention travel document may not be subject to an Irish visa requirement for short stays of up to 90 days in Ireland.

You must have immigration permission to stay in Ireland for longer than 90 days if you are a non-EU/EEA and non-Swiss citizen. To request permission, submit an application via a scheme or programme.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy