I've heard that in Austria (Tirol) the government provides a 30% refund for training / education courses useful for work. Is it true? Where can I find more details?

  • Formative/Formation do you mean formal?
    – Karlson
    Commented Apr 10, 2014 at 13:34
  • @Karlson: something like a language course or development course or something like that. I've edited the question.
    – Revious
    Commented Apr 10, 2014 at 13:38
  • For starters, “Bei Selbstständigkeit” means “In case of self-employment”. Are you self-employed?
    – Gala
    Commented Apr 10, 2014 at 19:38
  • @GaëlLaurans: thanks for the translation! No, I'm not. Now I will edit the question for acknowledge people who expatriates in austria of this refund possibility.
    – Revious
    Commented Apr 10, 2014 at 19:40

1 Answer 1


Yes, it's correct. Here it's possible to read the additional information: link

It's also possible to fill the module online but it's strictly mandatory to fill in the form in 15 days from the beginning of the course. So read the information carefully. According to other collegues' experiences, the refund should arrive in a short time (1 month?) after the end of the course.

In Austria, also, some kinds of expenses for work (i.e. training course) are also deductible from the taxes at the end of the year. So I think, but I'm not sure, that it's possible to deduct from taxes the remaining expenses.

To make an example the cost of my German course was 280€. I will get 30% refund in some months, about 85€. At the end of the year I will write in my tax document that I've payed 195€ for a training course and ask the government if I can get back other money.

My impression is that the burocracy here works. You can also fill a lot of forms online (not as many as in England, but not so bad as in Italy).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.