I came to the US a couple of months ago on a J1 visa. I am a professional freelance developer and have had three clients within three years. I got a job offer, but couldn't find out what the next step is. Can I apply for green card if this might be my permanent job?

Can anyone guide me on this?

  • Make sure your J-1 doesn't have a 2-year home residency requirement, because if it does, you cannot get permanent residency until you've been physically present in your home country for at least 2 years after your J-1.
    – user102008
    May 26, 2017 at 18:32
  • J-1 is not a dual intent visa. If you apply for a Green Card and your application is denied, your J-1 may become invalid. So you might want to talk with a lawyer about your chances of getting a Green Card and risks involved.
    – R-traveler
    May 26, 2017 at 18:39
  • 1
    As I understand, getting an employment-based Green Card without a college degree or very extensive work experience is nearly impossible.
    – R-traveler
    May 26, 2017 at 18:43
  • @user102008 No I am not subjected to section 212e
    – slam book
    May 29, 2017 at 6:25

1 Answer 1


If they're willing to sponsor you for a green card (which would be the best thing), then yes; however, it's usually H status you have to convert to.

Keep in mind, if you Switch to H status, then next time you travel abroad, you must get an H visa at the US embassy before re-entering the US. All paperwork pertaining to the employment should be brought for this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.