My Uk old style paper driving licence has expired due to being over 70, and I now permanently live in South Africe. Can I renew my UK driving licence and change it to a new photo style at the same time?

  • 1
    The renewal page says you need to list your last addresses for the last 3 years. I assume they need to be UK ones. Are you able to do that? On another website, someone queried DVLA who said you must be resident in the UK to renew a drivers licence.
    – mkennedy
    Jun 5, 2017 at 19:14
  • 1
    If you're permanently resident in ZA, shouldn't you be applying for a ZA drivers license (and possibly endure the 'dreaded' K53 like the locals do if your UK license isn't 'transferable')?
    – brhans
    Jun 5, 2017 at 19:19
  • 1
    From the relevant page on the gov.za web site: "If you have been granted South African permanent residence, you must convert your foreign driving licence to a South African one within a year of receiving your permanent residence permit.".
    – brhans
    Jun 5, 2017 at 19:26
  • Would you guys be able to move these comments to an answer?
    – ouflak
    Jun 6, 2017 at 6:32

1 Answer 1


No. You need to get a South African licence.

From gov.uk:

You can use this service to renew your British driving licence if you’re 70 or over, or will be 70 in the next 90 days, and:

  • your British licence has expired – or it’s going to expire within 90 days
  • you’re a resident of Great Britain


If you’re moving abroad

You can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.