I have given 1 month notice, so by my calculations HMRC will give me ~90-100 days to stay in the UK. While this happens I'm waiting for my new employer to organise the job suitability test and get the certificate of sponsorship.

A few questions:

  1. If my legal time in UK expires, can I simply wait in any country, or will I need to go back to Australia for some paperwork (or biometrics)
  2. While on my notice period I have a week or so of "garden leave". Am I legally allowed to work the 20hr 2nd job until at my new place up until I get the notice of visa termination from the HMRC?
  • 1
    A T2 can only be applied for in the country of your nationality (UNLIKE the case for visitor visas). You can work the 2nd job ONLY IF the job description is the same as your current T2. HMRC does not send the curtailment noice, UKVI sends it (a different directorate). Also you can work the 2nd job after the curtailment notice is sent, but not after the curtailment date.
    – Gayot Fow
    Aug 29 '17 at 19:03
  • 1
    Another note: if you apply in country AND you use the online form AND you submit prior to your visa's expiry AND the fee is collected prior to your visa's expiry AND you select premium service AND your premium service appointment is beyond your visa's expiry.then they will forgive the overstay gap between successive T2 visas. This was confirmed by the Business Help Desk last year and you can use them to confirm it for yourself also.
    – Gayot Fow
    Aug 29 '17 at 19:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.