My understanding is a law change a few years back allows Kiwis and Aussies to transfer superannuation funds between the countries.

If I have Super in NZ, and now Super in Aus - if I move back to NZ, how do I go about transferring this Australian balance to my NZ one?


You can indeed transfer retirement schemes from Australia to New Zealand. The Australian Taxation Office has a page with details about the retirement savings portability scheme.

Trans-Tasman retirement savings portability scheme for individuals - Transfers to New Zealand

Points to note:

  • You may only transfer retirement savings between a complying APRA-regulated superannuation fund and a KiwiSaver scheme.
  • Check with your fund and KiwiSaver scheme to see if they will charge any fees for transferring or accepting funds on your behalf.
  • You will need a New Zealand Inland Revenue Department (IRD) number to transfer you retirement savings to a KiwiSaver scheme.

There is also a link from that page to apply for an IRD number if you don't already have one.

See also the NZ Inland Revenue Department fact-sheet:

Fact sheet - Trans-Tasman portability of retirement savings - How the new rules work

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.