I'm an American citizen. I've been studying and living abroad for a couple of years, and now I want to go to France to study. Would I need a visa? And does anyone know the procedure?

  • 1
    It depends mostly on the duration of your study, are you thinking about a full-time university programme? Anything longer than 3 months requires a visa or residence permit.
    – Gala
    Aug 30, 2017 at 13:00

1 Answer 1


Having been abroad in the past doesn't give you any special rights. If you want to go to France to study, you'll have to find a university or other place of education, apply, and, if you are accepted, go through the visa procedures [in French]. Universities have an administrative office that helps foreign students do that. They'll have all the information you need.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.