I have lived in a non-EU country for some time and earned a large amount of money, which I kept as savings. I earned this legally and paid tax on it in that country.

Suppose I move to the UK as an EU national under freedom of movement and set up permanent home in the UK. As I will be living over half of a tax year in the UK, the UK will consider me its tax resident.

Suppose I transfer my savings from a foreign bank account into a UK bank account. Would UK then hold me liable for any tax on that amount? I was thinking Foreign Income tax, but that is no longer technically income, because income implies a regular stream. This is more akin to capital that was earned as a one-off. The amount is well above the tax-free allowance and is in the region of 100,000 in GBP equivalent.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.