I recently moved permanently from the US to Germany, and I am a Swedish citizen.

I got a US Virtual post mail address but Bank of America refused it automatically.

Can I simply change my address to my German address online and all will be well; I'll be able to receive credit cards and notices in Germany? Or could they will cancel my account if I do so?

  • 2
    Why don't you set up paper free alerts? You can get all these notices online. You can definitely keep a Bank account open even if you reside abroad, you should update your account and fill up a Form W8-BEN - irs.gov/forms-pubs/… I'm not sure about the implication on credit cards. – nikhil Aug 31 '17 at 20:13
  • @nikhil why don't you make that comment an answer, potentially adding some sources (or personal experience) about this working out with Bank of America or other banks? – mts Aug 31 '17 at 21:28
  • 2
    In my experience dealing with American banks and overseas customers, you have to actually call them to change your address, you can't do it online (not BofA, my experience is with another bank). And the agent has to be a bit creative in making your foreign address fit in their address form. But ultimately they will be able to mail things like credit cards directly to you. – Greg Hewgill Aug 31 '17 at 23:39
  • 1
    Thanks, I'm reading anecdotal reports of people getting their accounts closed due to moving abroad due to some part of the patriot act. I haven't heard any specific bank of america cases. You can actually just change your address to an international one without any trickery online, but your existing credit cards will stop working for some reason. – Turan Telle Sep 1 '17 at 21:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.