I'm Jamaican, but I have three children who were born British through their father. We are no longer together, but I would like to take my kids to the UK and settle there. Can I settle in the UK as a Jamaican with my only ties being through my children?

1 Answer 1


Assuming you are not British (and being Jamaican makes determining that a little confusing and likely depends on your family circumstances prior to 1962), then it will be difficult to settle in the UK. You would probably be looking at a applying as a parent for a family visa, but that requires your children to be under 18 and living in the UK. Unless you have a way for your children to live in the UK prior to you settling there, the family visa will not work. This then leaves you having to immigrate based on standard routes that do not consider the nationality of your children.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.