I have dual US and UK citizenships and I am thinking of returning to the UK as a retiree with my US born spouse. I have been away from the UK for more than 50 years and I have no NI number. We have pensions and social security plus some investment income in the US that can be sent to a UK bank account. I have never paid any tax in the UK so I am unsure if we can get an NI number. Can we get one without looking like a freeloader for using the NHS?

  • 2
    Your greater concern is going to be getting immigration documents for your spouse. In doing that, your spouse will pay for access to the NHS, but you'll have to show that your income is adequate (currently over GBP 18,600 annually, or roughly USD 25,000).
    – phoog
    Commented Sep 14, 2017 at 19:20


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.