I have spent 3 years in the UK on a Tier 2 visa from July 2009 to July 2012. However, I left the UK and since then I am living outside the UK.

Now I am getting an opportunity again to work in the UK and my employer is interested in offering me a permanent position. I have been told that I will be given a Tier 2 visa again, but for 2 years only. My question is, will the new Tier 2 visa be extendable? What steps can I take if I want to continue my job on a long-term basis?


Which kind of tier 2 visa, have you been offered?

If T2 ICT, currently I think after April 2017 they only offer long-term visas, that I suppose is extendable from 1 to 3 then to 5 years. but ICT may not help you to settle down in the UK.

If T2 General, same rules may apply but that would help you to settle down, probably if u continue to stay in the UK and can apply for ILR after 5 years.

Please co-relate with UK gov site, this information is indicative only.

| improve this answer | |
  • Ranvir: I have already spent 3 years on T2 General (2009--2012) but then I left UK for work. now I have learned that home office will issue me visa T2 General again but for a period of 2 years. now thetrouble will arise after 2 years when i will have spent all 5 years in total but not in one go. I will be asked to leave UK and my job as I may not qualify for ILR on account of my stay out side UK between (2013 to 2016). please advise If I am mistaking. – April Sep 24 '17 at 5:04
  • Sorry, I am not the best person to advise, maybe it's better to check with your company immigration team or just wait for anyone else to respond to your question. – Ranvir Sep 25 '17 at 6:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.