After working in Germany as a non-EU citizen for 3 years I am moving to another EU country.

I already did the following:

  • got de-registered from city-office
  • cancelled my apartment contract

Is it enough or should I also do something else?

  • 2
    cancel all your contracts - phone, internet, insurance.. and also close your bank accounts.
    – Dirty-flow
    Commented May 6, 2014 at 12:19
  • 1
    What other things have you signed when you moved in? Health insurance? Electricity, gas (separate from your apartment contract)? Mobile phone? TV? Internet? Newspaper?
    – deceze
    Commented May 7, 2014 at 12:26
  • @Dirty, why would you close your bank accounts? That seems to me to be an unwise move unless you are sure you will never ever return and/or there are fees associated with keeping the account open and/or there are laws prohibiting having a bank account as a non-resident. Having a local account can be very useful for a variety of reasons.
    – jmac
    Commented May 8, 2014 at 4:48
  • @jmac usually there are fees if you keep the bank account open and don't deposit araound 1000 EUR every month
    – Dirty-flow
    Commented May 8, 2014 at 7:14
  • @Dirty, is that a Germany-specific thing? Or a bank-specific thing? If the latter, it may be better advice to suggest finding a no-fee bank to park your money in as it is exceedingly difficult to open a bank account as a non-resident (if possible at all) which will cause headaches on your return, and will prevent you from using a domestic bank (which can be helpful for a variety of things from paying local bills, to giving you a place to transfer earnings to your currency in).
    – jmac
    Commented May 8, 2014 at 7:15

1 Answer 1


This article provides detailed recommendations on the following topics:

  • Housing Issues (ending a rental contract; selling a property; cancelling insurance) Disconnecting Utilities (notifying service providers to end/transfer your contract: electricity, gas, water, telephone and Internet)
  • Health Care (updating social security and health insurance funds)
  • Business and Tax (alerting banks and tax authorities of your departure)
  • Vehicles and Driving (updating your car registration certificate; checking any driving licence issues)
  • Alternative Considerations (informing the embassy and your local authorities; notifying schools; forwarding post; preparing your pets for travel)
  • The link is broken. Please fix it or update whatever is/was mentioned in it. Commented Jan 17, 2017 at 0:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.