I received my Green Card on 07/25/2016 as a result of my wife's sponsorship. In my card, I see that the expiration date is set to 07/25/2018 since I have a conditional permanent status of 2 years.

I am planning to take a vacation outside of the US between May 2018 and the end of June 2018. That way I would still have 25 days before my card expires.

My questions is, will there be any issues for me to get back into the US if I return by the end of June? I am planning to apply for a renewal before I leave the country and will that void the existing green card I have? Can I travel with a 2 year green card while I have already applied for the renewal and is in process?

1 Answer 1


There is no problem with you re-entering with the old green card before it expires (that's what the expiration date means -- you can use it up to and including that date).

If you will have received your I-751 receipt (which serves as a one-year extension letter) already, you can even return after 7/25/2018 with the expired card and extension letter with no problems.

  • What happens if I get a biometrics appearance date while I am out of the country? Oct 10, 2017 at 18:57
  • 1
    You just call them and reschedule. Might cost you several months, though.
    – Aganju
    Oct 10, 2017 at 20:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.