I am married to a British person and we are living outside the UK. My child is a UK citizen, do I need a visa to enter the UK?

  • 2
    Depends on your citizenship and for what purpose you intend to enter the UK. It might even depend on where you've been living and what permissions you have (if any needed) to live there as well.
    – ouflak
    Commented Oct 11, 2017 at 14:01

1 Answer 1


It depends. If you are a national of an EU country, or a country that has a visitor agreement with the UK, you can ENTER the UK without a visa. If you are a citizen of a country that is not on this list, you will need to apply for a family visa prior to arrival. If your country shares a visitor agreement with the UK, you can apply for a family visa once you are in the UK. You will need a family visa if you would like to stay with your child and spouse longer than 6 months.

  • 1
    But if she lives in the EU and has a "family member of an EU citizen" residence card derived from her husband and travels with her husband, she doesn't need a visa regardless of her nationality.
    – phoog
    Commented Oct 13, 2017 at 3:11
  • ^ True, that's the Surinder Singh's route.
    – kiradotee
    Commented Oct 14, 2017 at 0:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.