I am married to a UK citizen who is living in the UK with his child, my stepson, who is also a UK citizen. My husband can't earn the £18,600, due to his situation, caring for a child alone.

I'm a non-EU citizen, living in Lagos with my daughter who is also a UK citizen. How can my daughter and I join my husband stepson? I am the only one who needs a visa.

1) If I accompany my child as a visitor to the UK, do I need to supply my bank statement?

2) Can I relocate to an EU country close to UK with my child, as she can claim to be an EU citizen? My husband and stepson could visit more easily than coming to Lagos every time.

  • Would your husband be able to get a 18,600 pound job quickly without the child care issue? Oct 17, 2017 at 23:46
  • Sure he can, he had seen many job offer above 19k but couldn’t cope with child care issue over there
    – Ope1
    Oct 18, 2017 at 22:08
  • Due to his situation, does he needs to earn 18,600 before we can join him. Thanks for your time and information
    – Ope1
    Oct 18, 2017 at 22:33
  • 1
    How old is your UK citizen daughter? The EU has ruled recently that parents of EU citizens have rights to residency in some cases. For more see thejournal.ie/non-eu-residency-3382057-May2017 and bbc.com/news/world-europe-39868868 and discoversociety.org/2017/06/06/… for some more details.
    – Natalie N
    Oct 20, 2017 at 16:55
  • She’s 7months old @NatalieN thanks for get involved
    – Ope1
    Oct 20, 2017 at 18:39

1 Answer 1


1) Probably, yes, but unless you have a compelling reason to returnto Nigeria, your application will likely be met with a refusal.

2) No. Unfortunately, you cannot derive European Union freedom of movement from your daughter unless you are dependant on her, which seems unlikely given the circumstances outlined in your question. You can derive them from your husband, of course, so you could all move to Ireland or some other EU country, but getting you to the UK will be difficult.

  • If we all relocate to EU country, how long do you think we’ll live in that country before we’re able to relocate to UK. Thanks for the info
    – Ope1
    Oct 18, 2017 at 22:35
  • @Ope1 generally at least six months, but with Brexit looming, the chance of that working out seems to be getting smaller every day.
    – phoog
    Oct 19, 2017 at 5:02
  • Okay, I do understand what you mean. Thanks really appreciate @phoog
    – Ope1
    Oct 19, 2017 at 8:11
  • 1
    Have a look at this ruling: curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2017-05/… you may have some recourse to 2) should your daughter be underage, and her other parent is not involved in her upbringing.
    – Natalie N
    Oct 20, 2017 at 16:58
  • I do care for our daughter on day to day basis, he really want us to be with both him and my stepson in uk but I think living in eu country might be best option for myself and daughter
    – Ope1
    Oct 20, 2017 at 19:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.