I am going to be moving from Canada to Austria next spring. I hold both an EU citizenship and a Canadian citizenship. I currently operate as a sole proprietor in Canada. One of my clients wants to keep working with me when I move to Austria, as I can work remotely as a software developer. The catch is that he can only pay me if I invoice him as a Canadian company.

I know that I will need to register as "self-employed" in Austria, so that I can pay into social security and health care. My main question is: Can I continue to operate my sole proprietorship in Canada? If I maintain a Canadian address, can I just continue to bill him as I have been doing in the past? Will I need to continue charging him GST, even though the work is being performed from outside Canada? What will be my tax obligations to Canada?

  • You can be "self-employed" in Austria and work as a contractor for your Canadian company. – Greg Hewgill Nov 9 '17 at 22:51
  • "What will be my tax obligations to Canada?": It seems like you ought to ask a Canadian tax lawyer about this. – phoog Nov 9 '17 at 23:05
  • Yes, I have a contacted a few of them in Canada and am waiting on responses, but figured it was worth the question anyways in case someone has some relevant experience. – james00794 Nov 9 '17 at 23:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.