I'm a third-country national who is a self-employed permanent resident in the Czech Republic. As far as I'm aware, EU companies are free to post workers to other EU countries, even if those workers are non-EU citizens. I am also aware that even non-EU companies regularly send out their employees to the EU for "business meetings", which can include some degree of work done on-site for the parent company.

Being a self-employed software engineering consultant, am I allowed to sign a contract with a company located in the UK (signed by myself as a business, not as a physical person) and then proceed to travel to the UK visa-free to work for said company as an external employee? My passport allows me visa-free access to the UK, so normally I won't need to apply for an entry clearance beforehand.

Links to official UK government websites explaining the limits to what an EU contractor may do within the UK (without a work permit) would be appreciated. I am aware that Brexit would complicate things in the future, but for now all previous EU laws are still in effect.

  • "Self-employed" could mean a few different things. Have you organized a legal entity in the EU? If not, I would be surprised if your being an EU resident qualifies you as "an EU company."
    – phoog
    Nov 14, 2017 at 18:52
  • @phoog I have a sole proprietorship. It's a business entity like any other. Nov 14, 2017 at 19:30
  • In US tax terminology, "sole proprietorship" describes (among others) someone who operates a business without incorporating or forming any other sort of legal entity.
    – phoog
    Nov 14, 2017 at 19:37
  • @phoog I have a tax number and can become a VAT payer if needed. It's a corporation. Nov 14, 2017 at 19:41

1 Answer 1


I think you are looking for the EUN04 document. It states that:

En established non-EEA employee of an EU company in the EU can come to the UK to provide a service on behalf of the company without a work permit. Entry clearance is mandatory for both visa and non-visa nationals. Entry clearance is issued gratis.

The requirements to be met by the employee are that they:

  • are lawfully resident in the EU Member State in which the employer is established;
  • are lawfully and habitually employed by an employer who is temporarily providing a service in the UK;
  • do not intend to take any other employment;
  • intend to leave the UK at the end of the period during which his employer is providing the service.

I couldn't really find more on how you would obtain the visa and entry clearance to actually use this route and not rely to one of the usual non-EEA/Swiss visas.

I found the link to this document on the governments information site for posted workers.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.