I currently have a job offer by a German company for an indefinite period contract and the salary offered is above the standard as suggested for having a EU Blue card as well as I have verified the requirements (university, skilled workers etc.) and they do match to my qualifications.

I need to understand whether, I can directly apply for EU Blue Card or do I have to have a work visa and apply for the EU Blue card after reaching Germany? There are lot of forums wherein these details are in contrast to each other.

I am from India, and I have also tried to get in touch with the German consulate, but the phone is continuously unavailable.

  • @simbabque - thank you so much for provided information. I am actually eligible for applying for EU blue card visa. And was hoping to apply for the same. Just wanted to clarify if you meant that applying for normal work visa is better than applying for EU blue card visa? Also - do you know if EU blue card processing time in germany is better or worse than applying normal work permit. Thank you for your time. I am from India, if that helps. Jul 9, 2021 at 8:23

2 Answers 2


I managed to figure this out after a couple of emails to the German consulate. The answer is:

No, we can't apply for a Blue card directly; but once we have a German national visa, and we travel to Germany, only then can we apply for a blue card.

  • That should not be the necessary. You should be able to apply for a Blaue Karte EU directly at the embassy or consulate. They will do all the initial checking, verification of your degree and so on. They will then issue you a temporary work visa and possibly a Familiennachzugsvisum for your spouse and children. With those, you can enter Germany. There, you have to go to Auslaenderbehoerde in your city, and tell them you are there. That will start the process of Bundesdruckerei producing the actual §19a visa for you. In the meantime, you're allowed to work, but your spouse isn't...
    – simbabque
    Dec 4, 2017 at 11:40
  • ... until you get the physical Aufenthaltstitel that says it's for §19a Blaue Karte EU. With the temporary one, you can typically also not travel freely in the Schengen zone. It is possible to do all of this in Germany and come in with a different visa, which might be faster if the verification process in your country takes longer, though.
    – simbabque
    Dec 4, 2017 at 11:41
  • @simbabque perhaps you should post that information as an answer. The temporary work visa will allow free travel in the Schengen area, however, as do all national (type D) visas.
    – phoog
    Dec 4, 2017 at 12:55
  • @phoog I don't have sources besides being of assistance to people doing that from the German end. And as far as I know, it can be different from case to case.
    – simbabque
    Dec 4, 2017 at 12:56
  • @simbabque What's this temporary work visa? A Schengen short-stay visa? Otherwise, I don't see what's not necessary, the procedure you describe sounds very similar to the one described in the answer.
    – Gala
    Dec 5, 2017 at 20:13

Blue card application is no different than work visa. They are essentially the same thing.

One can apply only for Work Visa. Once you do, if you meet also requirements of blue card (gross salary, university degrees etc), you will be given one. Otherwise it is work visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.