I don't have a degree, but I have 4 years (2010-2014) of experience in software development and 4 years (2006-2010) as lead technical support engineer.

I see the following requirements for J1 trainee at:


Has a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year of prior related work experience in his or her occupational field outside the United States; or

Has five years of work experience outside the United States in the occupational field in which they are seeking training.

Can I get J1 visa (trainee) as software developer in Intel or HP (because they are in list)? (of course if these companies accept me)

  • 1
    Accept you as what? J1 is for internships.
    – littleadv
    Commented May 12, 2014 at 16:09
  • I'm trying to find legal basis for getting a temporary job in USA (it would be good for my CV, then I can relocate to EU easily [to Intel EU branch]). J1 is not only for internships. Internship is just one of several J1 programs. But I'm not qualified under J1 internship. Although I found that there is J1 trainee where I would be qualified. There are a few companies who provide J1 trainee (see the link). One of them is Intel. That's why I posted this question.
    – uintptr_t
    Commented May 13, 2014 at 15:11

2 Answers 2


You're asking about work. I'll quote from your comment:

"I'm trying to find legal basis for getting a temporary job in USA"

J1 is not a work visa. J1 is issued for internships and trainings. If you're coming to work - you cannot do it on J1.

In any case, this is something that the company has to deal with. If they "accept" you, as you say, they'll refer your case to their immigration lawyer, together with the program/job details, and the lawyer will decide whether you qualify for a status based on the contract offered to you.

  • 1
    I see. I thought that J1 is only chance. But in this case, I think I have no options at all. AFAIK, only H1-B visa is available for software developers. But I'm not qualified for H1-B (neither degree, nor 12 years of experience).
    – uintptr_t
    Commented May 13, 2014 at 18:32
  • @uintptr_t You got any solution for this? Commented Oct 28, 2016 at 13:52

Actually, you can 'work' with the J1 Trainee or Intern visa. An internship or Trainee Program means to work with a small wage and expand your knowledge in those months spent in the US. It's just that the programs are not intended for making money, but to help you expand your knowledge in your related field and as a cultural exchange as well, which would benefit both your country and US citizens that you interact with.

Good luck!

  • Do you have a source / reference for this?
    – Gagravarr
    Commented Feb 25, 2016 at 20:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.