We are on a Tier 2 visa. We are expecting a baby in February next year. We are not intending to travel anywhere until my husband gets an ILR December next year.

My questions are:

  • Do we need to get a visa for our child?
  • If a visa is not required, how can a baby get treatment from NHS after the initial 3 months?
  • What are the costs involved after the initial 3-month period? Is it billed at 150% of the private treatment costs at the GP?
  • 1
    Welcome to expats.se. Please take a look at our help center. I think this is a duplicate of expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/8375/… although a question focused on NHS treatment after 3 months would be useful.
    – StrongBad
    Dec 13, 2017 at 16:25
  • What nationality will the child be? And will the baby be habitually resident in the U.K.? If so, it should be eligible for NHS treatment on the same basis as any other U.K. resident.
    – rhialto
    Dec 14, 2017 at 15:07

1 Answer 1


No visa is required for the child. After 3 months the child can still get treatment from the NHS, but you wil be required to pay the costs yourself at 150% costs. Vaccinations are still free.

Chapter 1 of the "Guidance on implementing the overseas visitor hospital charging regulations 2015"


Those who have paid the health surcharge or are covered by transitional arrangements

Non-EEA nationals, who are subject to immigration control, are exempt from charge if one of the following applies to them while their leave to enter/remain is valid:

  • they have paid the surcharge;
  • . . .

  • A child born in the UK to an above mentioned exempt person is also exempt from charge up to the age of three months provided that the child has not left the UK since birth

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.