I will be appearing for my H4 visa interview soon. My husband has had a H1-B transfer when he moved to a new job. His passport however still has the old stamp referring to his previous employer and the dates as applicable to the old H1-B.

Would my husband have to get his visa stamp renewed before I appear for the interview?

Note that I have all the documents from his new job i.e I 797, the I-129, employment verification, paystubs, W2.

Also, my husband had asked the immigration team and they said he did not have to get it restamped.

But I am a bit skeptical whether someone at the embassy might say something, like why does the passport not have the new stamp?

Please advise.

  • 1
    This is off topic for Travel. I have flagged it for migration to Expatriates.
    – phoog
    Dec 30, 2017 at 5:21

1 Answer 1


No, he does not need a new visa. A US visa is only for entry, and if he doesn't need to enter, he doesn't need a visa. Your eligibility for H4 status and visa is based on his H1b status, not his visa.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.