The page on converting your foreign license to a Canadian one says:

Step 2: With two years' of non-learner driving experience, you'll need to take the Class 5 road test.

Is it possible for me to use a rental car/car share such as Zipcar to pass the test? Or do they want to see the owner of the car before taking you for a spin?

2 Answers 2


This page says that you need to bring the car's insurance and registration. That might be difficult with a borrowed/rented car.

  • 2
    Rental cars do provide you with the insurance and registration, otherwise what would you show at a police stop? Jan 1, 2018 at 20:02
  • The one time I was stopped in a rental I gave them my license and told them it was a rental--they didn't ask for the other documents. Jan 1, 2018 at 20:44

The ICBC mentions that:

If you plan to use a vehicle from a car sharing co-op or company, please check in with them for more details.

So they don't really care who the car belongs to. However the much bigger problem is that you need a second driver to get to the test in the first place, so self-driving yourself to ICBC is impossible. The best alternative I've found so far (assuming I can't get someone to waste 3 hours of their time to drive with me to the test) is to pay a driving school to loan you a car for the driving exam.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.