The page on converting your foreign license to a British Columbia one says:

Step 2: With two years' of non-learner driving experience, you'll need to take the Class 5 road test. Note: Bring another qualified driver with you for your test in case you don’t pass.

Why would that be necessary? I assume that even if I fail the test my license is still valid within Canada (up to 90 days) and therefore I can just drive away if I fail the examination.

  • 1
    I think they'll confiscate your license. If you have a new driver permit, you would keep that so you can practice more.
    – mkennedy
    Jan 1, 2018 at 19:35
  • Just for the record, this is about converting to a British Columbia license. Canada, per se, does not have driver's licenses. The rules for licensing are unique to every province and territory. Mar 22, 2018 at 20:56

1 Answer 1


If you fail the road test your original license will be taken away and therefore you won't be able to legally drive the car back to wherever you live. Of course, you could probably park the car near the examination office and return for it later, but the recommended approach is to have the second driver waiting beforehand.

If you don't own a car in BC you'd probably rent one from a driving school anyway, so your driving instructor will be your second driver.

  • The logic is that before the test, all they had to go on was that fact that you had passed your foreign driving test so they assumed you were safe to drive. After the test they know you are not safe to drive (so forbid it). Mar 23, 2018 at 6:19
  • @MartinBonner in theory yes. But then again ICBC converts American licenses without an exam, even though they're literally the easiest licenses in the whole world to get. So much for safety. Mar 23, 2018 at 6:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.