If my passport is stamped with 212(e) - Two-Year Residency Requirement on the US J1 visa and I do not utilize the visa to visit the US, does the 2-year requirement still hold when I apply for H1B?

1 Answer 1


The text of 212(e) says the restriction only applies to a person who has been “admitted” as a J1 (or who changed status to J1), so the 2-year requirement should not apply if you never used the visa and never changed status to J1. It would be a good idea to raise this point with your employer’s immigration attorney and to bring a copy of 212(e) to the visa interview in case it comes up.

  • Thanks! Can you please specify the source too? Commented Jan 9, 2018 at 16:59
  • @DhruvKuchhal I added a link to USCIS’s copy of the INA.
    – Guan Yang
    Commented Jan 9, 2018 at 20:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.