I'm Indian and my girlfriend is Chinese. She is 6 months pregnant. We both are in India. We don't have a marriage certificate yet because we failed to provide all the required documents to the authorities.

We are flying to China this week. How to get citizenship for the baby?

  • Since you are flying to China this week, does that mean she will give birth in China?
    – user102008
    Jan 13 '18 at 19:02
  • Yes. She will give birth in China. but in china unmarried person cannot have baby.
    – fazil
    Jan 13 '18 at 19:11

According to Article 4 of the PRC Nationality Law, a child born in China to at least one Chinese citizen parent is automatically a Chinese citizen at birth, with no other conditions.

What do you mean when you say "in china unmarried person cannot have baby"? I am not familiar with the situation with children born out of wedlock in China, but I don't think they physically prevent people from giving birth. Perhaps you mean that the child cannot be added to hukou or cannot get a travel document? or that the there may be a penalty?

  • Second this--I know of an out-of-wedlock birth in China. Jan 14 '18 at 4:23
  • A big penalty, or cannot be added to hukou.
    – fazil
    Jan 14 '18 at 6:08
  • Don't think it would be a problem nowadays. There are tons of out-of-wedlock births currently. That notion was very old.
    – xji
    Oct 23 '18 at 12:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.