My fiance is a UK citizen. I want to move there with my daughter. We are both US citizens. I understand I will need to apply for a join partner visa, which I need to apply for our daughter. Her father is a UK citizen and she is a US citizen. We plan to stay permanently. I want to apply for the right visas, so that we have fewer problems in the long run and make this as easy as possible. Thank you.

  • Is your daughter a minor? Jan 14, 2018 at 23:43
  • 4
    As your daughter is the daughter of a UK citizen, she is very likely also a UK citizen (that is, a dual citizen), in which case she should not apply for a visa, but a passport. If her UK-citizen father was born in the UK, for example, she is already a UK citizen.
    – phoog
    Jan 15, 2018 at 0:37
  • Yes she is a minor only 11 months old, but she was born a US citizen, but yes her dad is a born UK citizen. Just a situation we were gonna get married first but got a surprised baby in the mix as well before we had chance for me to move to him and get married. He came for her birth he is on her birth certificate and everything. My fiance said she isn't a UK citizen because she wasn't born there, so please explain how she is a UK citizen when she's never been there. He has only been here.
    – Autumn
    Jan 15, 2018 at 1:12
  • 5
    Your fiance is a British citizen "not by descent" since he was born in the UK. Therefore, your daughter is a British citizen, see this link for more info: gov.uk/check-british-citizen/y/on-or-after-1-january-1983/no/… (the "you" on that page refers to your daughter). So, she has dual citizenship and needs to apply for a UK passport (instead of a visa) to live in the UK. You still need a visa, of course, and I'll let people who know more about that answer that part of your question. Jan 15, 2018 at 2:08
  • Can you clarify if your fiance is the father of your daughter. Also, would you be willing to get married in the US prior to moving to the UK?
    – StrongBad
    Jan 15, 2018 at 18:17

1 Answer 1


You stated in the comments that you plan to get married before applying for the visa, so you should apply for a family visa as a spouse for yourself, after you are married.

You also stated in the comments that your British fiance was born in the UK, and that he is the father of your daughter. This means that your daughter is a British citizen, and you should apply online for a British passport for your daughter, not a visa. Your daughter has right of abode in the UK, so I don't think she counts as a dependent for your spouse visa application fee, but I'm not sure.

  • The passport application link is not for first-time applicants.
    – phoog
    Jan 22, 2018 at 10:41
  • @phoog works for me? Answer no to the have you had a UK passport before question. Jan 22, 2018 at 10:59
  • I think I misread "you can apply for, renew, replace or update your passport" as "you can apply to renew, replace or update your passport."
    – phoog
    Jan 23, 2018 at 4:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.