I am an EU citizen, but my spouse is not. We are both resident in one EU country and will be moving to another one because I got a new job there.

The work contract of my spouse has ended recently (for reasons unrelated to our move) and they have registered for unemployment benefits.

I believe that EU citizens can transfer unemployment benefits to another EU country for a limited time (3 months?)

Does this apply to spouses of EU citizens as well?

Additional info as requested:

  • My spouse has residence rights only as "spouse of EU/EEE/Swiss citizen", not independently.

  • I am a citizen of neither of these two countries. I am not from Croatia (in case this is relevant).

  • You may want to disclose which pair of countries, whether you are a citizen of either of them (rather than generically an EU citizen), and if your spouse has their own residence rights other than as your spouse.
    – user16259
    Commented Jan 18, 2018 at 11:53
  • @user16259 Thank you. I added some info but would like to keep some privacy. If you think there is value in disclosing more information, let me know.
    – Runkhadar
    Commented Jan 18, 2018 at 13:12
  • Residence rights don't always include rights to unemployment benefits. In the UK many foreign residents (but not EU nationals) are classed as 'no recourse to public funds'. I'm not certain that it will help to disclose more information so please don't unless someone with more expertise comes along and requests it.
    – user16259
    Commented Jan 18, 2018 at 20:22

1 Answer 1


I asked the local branch of the employment service (a government agency). They said that only EU citizens can transfer unemployment rights, not their non-EU family. EU citizens can do this by applying for an U2 form.

Unfortunately, I do not have a reference for this claim. I am simply relaying the information given to me by an official. While it is very likely correct, I have seen officials make mistakes in similar cases.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.