Suppose a person has been granted permanent residence in Canada. Further suppose residency was granted partly on the basis of the person's academic degree. Now suppose the degree is revoked by the university that issued it. (The university is not in Canada.) Will Canada revoke the person's permanent residence?

migrated from academia.stackexchange.com Jan 18 '18 at 14:22

This question came from our site for academics and those enrolled in higher education.

  • 1
    Suppose the revocation was for academic fraud. Further suppose it was a medical degree. Canada may let you stay... In jail. But seriously, there are consequences beyond your residence for this. – user16259 Jan 18 '18 at 14:34
  • if degree is not medical..it is from engg. field. – Identifier Jan 18 '18 at 14:48
  • I doubt they will ask for additional documentation after the permanent residence status has already been granted -- but try to find out. That's the key, I think. – aparente001 Jan 18 '18 at 20:49

Is it conditional or unconditional permanent residence ?

If conditional, and the condition is your degree, then yes they can take it away.

Assuming it's unconditional permanent residence, they can not take it away unless they think that you committed fraud to get the visa. I guess it kind of comes down to the way you lost the degree.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.